Sunday, November 28, 2010

Field Trip

So I had to get home for something on Tuesday and was not able to attend the field trip.  I probably should have gone but I needed to be home and was worried we wouldn't be back in time.  However, I visit the Walker quite frequently so  I at least know of one piece that was of interest to me.  The one that I always like seeing is the Chuck Close one.  It always entrances me and to be honest the first time I went there it was the only piece I recognized.  From where, I don't know.  Anyways, to me, this piece is just interesting and I really like that it is centered in the frame, simply because that's what artist's tell you never to do, centering is like the worst thing you could do, but in this instance, it works.  Haven't started working on my shell yet, try and do that tomorrow.  I'm a little nervous for the ink but hopefully it turns out.
chuck close 1967-68 self portrait

1 comment:

  1. I also, like many others, love this piece. It's such a well known piece and so very impressive, and though I had seen much of Chuck Close's work online, seeing it in person is such a different experience. My appreciation of his detail was only justified by seeing it in real life. I had never been to The Walker and much of the work there truly made me appreciate art.

    ReplyDelete