Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tolstoy instead of Drawing

This week we had a day off on Tuesday which was nice because I had a major headache and wasn’t looking forward to a three hour class.  Thursday was alright and it was very informative but I’ve got to be honest, not looking forward to using the ink.  I don’t know, I haven’t had too much experience with it but from what I have used of it, it’s not my favorite and I feel like I am going to put it on too dark and ruin my shell contour drawing, maybe not, I guess time will tell.
What I did do this week was start reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and so far I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I have only made it about 30 pages but for Tolstoy that’s like a long ways.  He is not very succinct but I am really enjoying the descriptions of Russian culture.  So far, a skating scene and the overall town of Moscow have been discussed and it really seems like a different world, one that hasn’t exactly been on my radar.  I guess it’s a love story, according to the synopsis on Wikipedia, as I said, haven’t gotten that far.  It’s just been something I have always wanted to read.  This really has not much to do with art except for the function and existence of art and fancy architecture in the high society world the character’s live in.
I guess I am just glad that we didn’t have too much work for Life Drawing or rather any of my classes because it gave me time to focus on another part of the arts, literature.  Hopefully, I can add this to my list of books I’ve read and I hope that it can help broaden my sense of the arts as a whole, not just bits and pieces here and there.

1 comment:

  1. It is so great that you have gotten interested in Leo Tolstoy. His work is thoughtful and provoking. That book is one of my favorites and certainly worth your time. I hope you have fun with it, and are able to get into his train of thought. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete